- Extra fine Australian Merino Wool in Roving (Wool top) in different shades,
Micron 14-16, a total of 50 g
- Fine and thin factory made Prefelt (Micron 18-20). I recommend you to buy it
from Wollknoll (www.wollknoll.eu), the ones which are 180 cm wide and have
ca.170 g/meter are perfect. You will need a piece of 30 x 50 cm. (12 x 20 inches)
You may use two or more colors. One to create the basic shape and the other
one to decorate the surface.
- Sequined fabrics, the base fabric should be loose woven. You can use one or
more colors as you like. You will need a total of 15 x 15 cm. (6 x 6 inches) We will
only use tiny pieces of sequined fabric. Make sure the sequins are sewn onto the
mesh-like fabric, not glued! The base fabric must be loose woven in order for the
wool fibers to be able to hide through it.
- For one necklace you will need approx. 1 meter of Metal Chain. The ideal chain
is flat and the chain links are 3×4 mm in size. Of course, the 2×3 mm chain link is
also suitable. Be careful not to choose a chain where the links are too tightly
connected to each other, as we need to hide the wool through the chain links and
the chain should provide enough room for movement so that when the felt
shrinks, the links can get closer to eachother. You can see in the photo what I
- About the Beads: Depending on what kind of necklace you are making, you may
need these three bead sizes: 4 mm, 6 mm and 8 mm diameter beads. It can be
metal, but also glass. The point is that the hole should be the right size to fit a fine
felted cord into it. The ideal hole size is 1-2 mm.
- Piece of Beeswax
- Sharpe Scissors in different sizes, a curved-ended Scissors
- IKEA Mat Variera (with dots) it’s not an obligation, but might be practical to work
on, you can replace it with a piece of bubble wrap on your table
- Tape measure
- Different Pliers, with wide end narrow ends
- Chopstick or Wooden Stick for minor corrections
- Permanent marker
- Bowl for Water
- Hand Soap
- Plastic sheet for the line guide Templates, (25 x 30 cm) = (10 x 12 inches)
- Bubble Wrap for rubbing (20 x 25 cm) = (8 x 10 inches)
- 2 pieces of Bubble Wrap to flip the necklace with (each 20 x 20 cm) = (8 x 8 inches)
- Synthetic Kitchen Cloth to absorb the Water
- A Mesh for covering the Necklace during the massage. (20 x 30 cm) = (8 x 12n inches)
- One piece of Cotton Cloth for rolling (e.g. an old piece of Sheet) which is 20 x 30 cm (8 x 12 inches)
The weight of my Necklaces are between 35 and 40 g together with the metal chain.
I used about 15-20 g of wool for each one.
About the Wool and Prefelt I use:
I usually buy the Wool and the Prefelt from a German Company, Wollknoll. I will use
their 14 and 16 Microns thick white Australian Merino Wool (Art. Nr. 1424 and
Art.Nr.1492) after hand dyeing and their 19,5 Microns Prefelt (e.g.Art.Nr.1254-18)
Check it out please! link
Just to give you an idea you can buy sequined fabrics for example on Ebay, Amazon,
Alibaba, Etsy, in textile stores and in second hand shops. Make sure that the base
fabric is loose woven and the sequins are sewn onto the mesh-like fabric, not glued!
The base fabric must be loose woven in order for the wool fibers to be able to hide
Some examples: link link
You can buy metal chains at a hobby shop or on Etsy and Ebay.
One or two examples:
- This listing is for antique bronze twist chain, approximately 3.5mm x 4.5mm
link size. 1mm thickness. Nickel free.
- 3,3 Feet 2,4x4mm Antique Bronze Curb Chains, Soldered Chains, Faceted
Curb Chains, Flat Curb Chains, Bronze Plated Chains, FFC, BXB78-5
- 100 Antique Bronze Brass Steel Metal Round Spacer Accent Beads Small – Big
- 3mm 4mm 6mm 8mm 10mm 12mm Rondelle Faceted Crystal Glass Loose
Spacer Beads lot